A Historic Natural Resource
This site is the location of the headwater springs of the Comal River and the first waterworks property owned by the City of New Braunfels. Historically, the immediate area possessed fine, high quality sedimentary rock for fashioning stone tools, pure water, lush vegetation, and an abundance of game. Thus, native tribes were attracted to the Comal River and its surrounding springs as far back as 10,000 years.
The springs were just as important in terms of survival to the Europeans who arrived later to the area. Heinrich Klingemann immigrated with his family from Hanover, Germany, to New Braunfels in 1846 and purchased the land surrounding the uppermost springs of the Comal River. These springs (three in total) came to be known by locals as the Klingemann Springs.